Granular Sugar

This time of year the feverish build up of work and events has been intense. I honestly can't recall if it has been this way outside of Nome or exclusive to... The Savoonga and Shishmaref clinics, maintaining some kind of training regiment, enjoying family time, Sarah's musical events; all the while recovering from a terrible viral sinusitis... intensity to say the least.

However, by literally grinding through the past two months in conditioning, even in sickness, a solid base has been built. I finally passed the "dying-like-a-pig" hump during my so-called training. (The term these days is "bonking" but I grew up in the "dying like a pig" era)

We had some typical Nome weather with a splash of freezing rain a week ago. This developed a nice base by melting just enough snow to pack down. I went out on Saturday with the fatbike off trail. It felt great mashing through 10 miles of pure granular sugar snow with an ok base underneath before the swim workout.

Sarah's musician friend Willis Fireball from Fairbanks who now teaches out in Diomede came through Nome over the weekend. Sarah helped arrange a little concert at the local restaurant for him as a fundraiser. It went really well and of course I am biased but it sounded great when Sarah sang harmony on a few songs. I recorded it through the mixer on digital audio and once I seperate out the tracks and get Willis's permission I will give a try at posting a link for a clip.

Comments