Nome Weather

Click for Nome, Alaska Forecast

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Unalakleet










I'm in Unalakleet packing up my stuff before heading to the runway and wait for Bering Air. It is always difficult to leave the family when I go on a village trip for work but it amazes me how at home Unalakleet feels (and it's warmer more summer like than Nome right now). I suppose after living here for 2 years a few years back it was a special time. I lived up on the hill 4 miles out of town and ran or biked a lot of the time to work. Not many folks lived up there so it was always exciting; would I see bears or the weather would turn? Four miles may not sound like a lot but the east wind would blow up 50-60 mph sometimes in the winter. It made running or biking interesting. I sure wish I had pictures during the storms b/c running was so funny- I called it the sideways run, leaning into the wind. During that time was also when I started playing around with music and that's a big part of my life now (obviously with Sarah's music).
In Unk I lived in a nice place with a woodstove and no phone, lots of me time. After five years of turmoil in Nome prior to the move it was the perfect place. I ate at Paul and Anne's almost every night and watched the kids grow. I still do the same when I am in town, last night I went up and had caribou steaks and couldn't believe how big the kids were getting. Here are some pictures from that era...

No comments: